HEALTH STARTS AT HOME
Updated: Jul 30, 2019
As a parent or guardian we’re the leader of health in our home. It is our job to help our child develop healthy habits that can last a lifetime. Here are 8 tips to help create a healthy environment in the home.
What can we do?
1. Encourage our children to eat at least 3 well-balanced meals every day: filling half their plate with vegetables and fruit, a quarter with whole grains and a quarter with protein foods.
2. Offer water and lower fat milk instead of sodas and other sugary drinks.
3. Serve fresh fruit, veggies and low fat yogurt instead of high-fat, high calorie snacks such as donuts, cookies and chips for after school snacks and on the weekends.
4. Help our children find pleasure in being active. Encourage them to participate in activities they love - skating, basketball, soccer, dancing, rollerblading or jump roping.
5.Encourage play while limiting screen time in front of computers, video games and TV.
“ We as parents are our children's first and best role models...We can't lie around on the couch eating French fries and candy bars and expect our kids to eat carrots and run around the block.”
6. Schedule active family outings such as hiking or biking local trails and swimming at local beaches or community centers.
7. Eat and cook together as a family.
8. Lead by example! The most impactful thing we can do as parents is eat healthfully, drink water and get moving most days of the week ourselves. We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Question: What are your favorite ways to be healthy with your child or children?